On July 4, 2023, Lancaster University Ghana (LUG) entered a partnership arrangement with Huawei ICT Academy, a subsidiary arm of the Huawei Technologies Group Limited.
Huawei Technologies is a leading global provider of information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure and smart devices, serving over three billion people around the
world. As part of its Corporate Social Responsibility, Huawei has instituted the Huawei ICT Academy. The Huawei ICT Academy is a non-profit partnership between Huawei and Academies around the world. Through this partnership, the Academy delivers Huawei ICT technology training, encourages students to get Huawei certification, and develops talents with practical skills for the ICT industry and the community.
The partnership brings together the strengths of Huawei’s industry expertise and Lancaster University Ghana’s academic excellence to empower the next generation of technology leaders. Through this partnership, LUG students interested in acquiring ICT-related skills and knowledge can apply for and access resources with the support of instructors from the university.
Benefits and impact
The partnership between Huawei ICT Academy and Lancaster University Ghana promises to deliver substantial benefits and impact.
- Access to Courses and Resources: LUG students will have the opportunity to access a wide range of learning pathways with rich learning resources, simulation tools, practical labs, and certification exams.
- Huawei Certification: To meet the learning and advancement needs of ICT professionals, Huawei has set up a three-level certification system from which LUG students can benefit. These include Huawei Certified ICT Associate (HCIA), Huawei Certified ICT Professional (HCIP), and Huawei Certified ICT Expert (HCIE).
- Access to Huawei ICT competitions: LUG students can participate in Huawei ICT competitions, which are annually organized with the aim of promoting ICT talent cultivation. This encourages students to attain Huawei certification and provides an international study platform for talent exchange.
- Employability of LUG students: Huawei ICT Academy competitions stimulate students to sharpen their ICT capabilities to attain better job opportunities after certification. LUG students will be able to access up-to-date job requirements from Huawei, particularly the Huawei National Service Recruitment Scheme and the possibility of employment after National Service by Huawei or its affiliate partners.
- Networking and Knowledge Exchange Huawei ICT Academy will bring its industry-leading expertise to LUG’s academic community through workshops, seminars, and lectures. These knowledge-sharing activities will expose LUG students and faculty members to real-world industry practices, trends, and technologies.
This partnership serves as a vital link connecting enterprises and academia, working collaboratively to create a robust talent system for the ICT industry. By leveraging this alliance, LUG students will receive cutting-edge practical skills, enhancing their employability and paving the way for successful career launches in the dynamic world of ICT.